1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady (mascot)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CA_journo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Boys teams at a high school in Central Texas are the Yoemen. Girls teams are the Yoettes. (Yohoes or Yomamas would be funny, though.)

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That's the way it is here, too, Shoeless. We don't have a single school at any level that doesn't call their women's teams Lady Somethings.

Also, as a takeoff on the Missy Gators from Vicksburg, the girls teams at Greenville-Weston are the Honey Bees; their boys are the Hornets.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

If it says "Lady" on the uni I go with it. If not, I usually don't.

I cover a team that goes by "Lady Headers"

Which may be less of an entendre than calling them just "Headers"

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I first moved to Georgia, which doesn't know any better than to play high school softball in the fall, I referred to the local squad as the Lady Vikings. After a couple of weeks, I get a letter in the mail from a mom of an athlete in another sport saying that they have always been the Vikettes.

OK, to each their own. But after a couple of articles with that, the softball parents called to complain that they were the Lady Vikings. Vikettes, it turns out, applied just to the hoops team.

Around the office for the duration of my stay, the school was forever refered to as the Lady Vikingette Women With Horns.

5. johann

johann Guest

Well, it could be worse.
    While at Wofford College in the mid-80s, I suggested that referring to the women's sports teams as “Wofford Lady Terriers” was a bit pretentious, since there is a perfectly good word for a lady dog. Wofford has since opted officially for a milder remedy as in
    “ Norfolk State took a 34-21 lead at the half, as the Spartans cruised to a 66-51 win over the Wofford women's basketball team Saturday …”
    reported at http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2010/11/27/WBB_1127101701.aspx recently.
    Independent fan sites and blogs find the “Lady Terrier” name hard to drop.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My high school was Redmen and Redettes. Always got a few strange looks the first time you would tell people what the girls nickname was.

Shoeless Joe is right, it may just be a regional thing. We don't change nicknames around here in the paper, and it's not different on the unis, but the home announcers say: Lady (Mascot)s. But a home announcer hardly represents what people go by, it's just that guys idea of what to call them.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I went to high school at a place called Cocke County High School.

On the back of the press box, facing the parking lot-and the world-it reads "Cocke County High School Home of the Fighting Cocks.

In spite of it being part of an upper East Tennessee public school system, someone did have the presence of mind to refer to the girls' sports teams as the Lady Red.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

High school I used to cover.

Cowboys.
    Lady Cowboys.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Mystery Meat, et. al., are correct.

And why the hell are you looking to MaxPreps for guidance?

10. dob23

dob23 New Member

If the team has "Lady" on their uniforms, we go with Lady. Otherwise, we'll go with the school's regular nickname.

The University of Missouri at St. Louis changed their mascot a few years back. The men's teams used to be the Rivermen and the women's teams were the Riverwomen. Picture that.

Now all of UMSL's teams are the Tritons — no Lady Tritons.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Most colleges around here have officially dropped "Lady" from their women's team names (I believe all 11 Big Ten schools have done so, now that Rene Portland has been shown the door at final holdout Penn State -- and wbb was the only program at PSU that used "Lady Lions" instead of "Nittany Lions").

Use of the modifier "Lady" is still very prevalent in the South (and the SEC generally has the strongest women's basketball), but has become passe elsewhere in the country. Therefore, we made it policy in our newspaper 20 years ago that "Lady" would not be used in copy.

It doesn't always work. What do you do when the Greenwood Woodmen girls basketball team comes to visit? Lady Woodmen doesn't exactly work either.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The Bangkok Ladyboys will be quite upset if you mess with their moniker.

Draft saved Draft deleted