1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady Gaga: Really thin is in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fishhack2009, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This. What is she, 24? And she wasn't a teen pop star, but an actual singer/songwriter whose talent was recognized by various record company executives before she hit it big at the advanced age of 22. I thought she did break out on the strength of her music.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Really?
    Then why is all the ridiculous gimmickry even necessary?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

She chose to, and I'm not assuming it was necessary. And as we've seen in numerous cases, dressing wild isn't sufficient. And I'm not defending Lady Gaga for her music; what she puts out isn't my cup of meat. But the assertion that she's no better than Britney is a load of crap.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm saying if she wanted to stop, they'd tell her to strongly reconsider.

Really, in all seriousness, because she isn't that interesting of a musician to me, and music is unusually personal for many: I find her on par with Katy Perry. Perry's a little more conventional and pretty, Gaga does her thing, but their music ends up, for me, in about the same place: Mildly transgressive chatter about drinking, screwing and doing naughty stuff set to upbeat synth music. (Then you have the lovely Ke$ha, who appears to be a smash-up of the two).

They're both reasonably bright and articulate for their age, but that's not surprising to me; many artists are. And, actually, yes, I'd say Gaga's fairly eager to please. It's a good thing. She goes out of her way not to be a snit to journalists and fans and, at this point, she could however she pleases. But I credit common decency to common decency - not to musical chops. That she can talk about her music isn't indicative of the quality (or even the integrity) of it.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Who asserted that she's better or worse than Britney?

Fact is, she couldn't get a record deal and did not have a music career until she added the outrageous gimmicks -- and reinvented herself as a novelty act.

It worked. Good for her. But let's not pretend that she's Joni Mitchell.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I have some lightning bolt earrings somewhere that would match that headpiece.

I don't care what she wears, I find some of her songs fun. I don't listen to her music to touch my soul, but it passes the time better than most pop music. In the video of my absolute favorite song of hers, she's not wearing crazy costumes.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lady Gaga is basically the 21st-century Cyndi Lauper -- eccentric and probably with the same shelf life.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

She shows her cooter in her new music video, so, I guess not.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Didn't Cindy Lauper have like, one hit song? Lady Gaga has been blowing up the pop charts for almost two years. She's weird as fuck, but she's the next Madonna.

And as an earlier poster said, she's weird as fuck, but not dumb. She's constantly in the news for quirky things but none of them involve DUI's, coke binges or sex tapes.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, Lauper had a lot more hits than one. Try seven or eight. Time After Time was the biggest; it was then, and still is, one hell of a song.

Madonna...that's a lot to ask.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is the most shocking statement by a pop music star since Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I want nutrition advice, Lady Gaga is the first celebrity I think of.

Draft saved Draft deleted