1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady Gaga: Really thin is in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fishhack2009, Mar 31, 2010.

1. I heard that bitch got a dick!

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

She doesn't seem to care what you think about that either.

I wish she didn't make that statement about not eating, considering how many millions of young girls worship her, but she is smart and thoughtful and entertaining, and her message often revolves around how important it is to be an individual.
    And these are the sort of things I learn from hanging out with 10 year olds ...

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

...while ripping off Bowie, Marilyn Manson, Gwen Stefani and a whole host of other, more original artists.

Gaga is eager to please, is what she is. She cares what people think.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Lady Gaga is awesome.

That's all I've got, really.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

She's not some media creation. She has serious music chops, and would probably would have a longer career if she didn't do all the odd fashion crap.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm probably the last guy that would defend a pop idol, but she's probably the most exciting thing to happen to pop music in quite some time.

Perhaps she shows similarities to the artists you listed, but she performs with a fire and passion that is rarely seen in music today. I believe she has the potential to be one of these established icons that reaches across the decades. Will she realize that potential? I don't know, but it's going to be fun watching her.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Two of those I'd willingly listen to, and can't speak to whether Lady Gaga has ripped them off because the only time I've (barely) noticed her music, it's in the background.

I should have been more specific: the message I refer to isn't the one I've heard but the one I've read, in interviews with her. She's eloquent and interesting, and the only reason I've made an effort to read about her is because she's an important influence in the lives of pre-teen girls who happen to be in my life.
    And sure, most people care about what others think. And sure, she no doubt uses the hermaphrodite rumor as a marketing ploy. But from the little I know about her, it's pretty clear she couldn't care less when some anonymous fool makes fun of her sexuality. For that, she gets major points in my book.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Of course, she didn't even have a real music career at all until did 'all the odd fashion crap' and as a result became a 'media creation'.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, she's some media creation.

I would like to see her do a remake of Smell The Glove, though.

10. dooley_womack1

You can't assume that, ifilus. What I mainly mean is that she's not some Britney Spears who has a look and that's it. She could produce and write her own stuff, and it would be good. She chose to have an image, but that doesn't mean that's all she is.

Does Eddie Cochran become less of an artist because he was promoted by the record company as a young rebel?

And Alma, you're saying that if all of a sudden, the record company kept her from wearing weird hairstyles and clothes, she couldn't have a career? Ah, the old stereotype, that all young female pop-rock singers must be bimbos or the creation of a Svengali.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Her early career attempts are well documented, and it's clear she did not and could not breakout on the strength of her music.

12. dooley_womack1

Yeah, it's documented that she was a multi-instrumentalist and already knew how to be a producer. What, if you don't make it by 16, you're a has-been? Doesn't mean she couldn't have been the next Kelly Clarkson or Melissa Etheridge or even the next Babyface if she would have gone that route. She chose the route she did, and there are plenty of singers who dress outrageously who don't make it.

Draft saved Draft deleted