1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady Gaga--hate her or friend her

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Jul 3, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Kanye West will all receive complimentary tickets on the maiden voyage of the rocket ship to the sun that I'll build one day.
    So, I suppose I'm in the "hate her" camp.
  3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I'll add the complementary leg irons.
  4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I hate Lady Gaga with all my might. Just your typical celebrity looking to get the spotlight all to herself.

Like Jerry Seinfeld said, get an act.
  5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I don't mind Lady Gaga. She has a couple of good tunes and she does have musical talent. But it does get silly when her goofy fans start comparing her to Madonna and go on and on about how Lady Gaga is a unique artist who has all this success, blah, blah, blah and how she's atop of the Billboard charts.

It's not too hard to be at the top of the Billboard charts when your main competition is Ke$ha, Black Eyed Peas and ___insert random hip hop act___. I mean, there are some very good artists today like Beyonce, Usher and Aguilera.

But a true genius like Madonna in her prime (1983-to-1989) had to go up against a "murderer's row" of top artists that were also hitting singles and albums out of the park: Bruce Springsteen, Prince, The Police, Van Halen, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, John Cougar Mellencamp, Bon Jovi and not to mention the greatest pop artist of all time in Michael Jackson. And Madonna still came out on top once in a while.

Lady Gaga is about on the level of Cyndi Lauper. Good, talented artist with a look all her own. But not in the league of the aforementioned artists.
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good comparison, although the chart history remains to be written. Lauper hit huge with her debut and followed up with a couple of moderately successful albums -- all spanning the Madonna prime years, coincidentally.
  7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm not Gaga's Facebook friend, but the woman is - at least in my eyes - the most exciting pop performer we've seen in quite some time. I like the fact that she cut her teeth on rock 'n' roll and understands what it takes to be a unique performance artist. She also has a sense of humor and is generally pleasing to look at.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, compared to Amy Winehouse maybe. ::) ::)
  9. CR19

CR19 Member

or Heidi Montag.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

She's merely repeating what others have done before, going against the flow to create publicity and demand for her. Buddy Holly (just watched part of that again), Elvis, the Beatles, Jackson 5, Madonna, New Kids on the Block. You heard the same criticisms about them.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

She's a billboard for relativism, which is a potent intoxicant in our culture. She successfully preys on a number of cultural touchstones - strippers, alcohol, thoughtless sexuality, guns, latent female anger, skinniness - by placing it under the heading of "being a freak." I have no clue if her ideas or some handler. This week, she's on the Rolling Stone cover wearing pasties and toting a machine gun. That supposed to be ironic, I guess - ripping off the Guns & Ammo girls - but I suspect it's closer to the truth.

Calling her a genius is a little like calling Col. Sanders a genius for the Double Down sandwich.
  12. New Kids on the Block?
Draft saved Draft deleted