1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady Gaga flashes her meat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Suicide Squeezer, Sep 7, 2010.

1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

How is refusing to acknowledge even a crumb of talent in regards to Lady Gaga a valid, critical opinion? You don't like her music, we get it. Go listen to something that makes you feel self-important. But you don't become famous the world over without having some talent. If it's so easy, go out and take her place in the spotlight. Until that happens, please just shut up.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Is this the MMA thread or the soccer thread?

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Another way (and perhaps quicker to calculate) would be to see where they rank in terms of albums sold the year they both sold 4.1M units. My hunch is Miss GaGa is higher up the list than the Tiffster.

I never figured a thread about Lady Gaga would be so entertaining. And based on the last few posts, I don't see it winding down just yet, either.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't want to process her face. I want to poker face.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its really not for those of us now to declare whether anything is "ground-breaking" or not, is it? Those things are not determined until we look back 25-30 years, right?

Railing against the performer is really just shooting the messenger. If you really hate the music, you should be aiming your vitriol towards the people who are actually buying her music and attending her shows.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think you hear the club beats and dismiss the possibility that it could be good music. Peel back the layer.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Hell Yeah.

as soon as i saw the pic i was wondering how long it would take for intellectual giants at PETA to comment. guess the answer is not long.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/2688820,CST-FTR-ebrief09.article

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Awesome!

9. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla New Member

Perfect.

10. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

The freak show is her gimmick, and what became the secret to her success. The freak show, the shroud of mystery, that's exactly what the record company wanted and still wants. Every step, every move, every outfit/costume, every outburst at a Mets' game, is decided, calculated and planned by people way smarter than her. She couldn't make it as her. The market for that already passed. The window for something like this to work, however, was there. It was a slim one to fit in, but it worked. The music was catchy, and the mystery sold the records - not the talent. The appeal is based on something closer to the aesthetic of Marilyn Manson than Madonna. The pop tunes - "Just Dance" and "Poker Face" - that are forgettable, at best, but that were good for the moment, sold the whole weird, twisted, maybe-has-a-penis shebang.

And who says she's writing her own music? Her? All her songs, or hit songs at least (not taking the time to research the others because I could give two fucks), are co-written by at least one other person. In the record industry, from the 80s on, that's code for "the artist didn't write it, but it's in the artist's contract that we give them credit."

She's as original as a CSI Halloween special.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Uh, yes you can.

[​IMG]

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted