1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady Gaga flashes her meat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Suicide Squeezer, Sep 7, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fantastic.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I'm disappointed the thread title didn't deliver. I was expecting an NFSW crotch shot.

3. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Not really. A more responsible representation would be each singer's percentage of the total record sales from the year they were released (or a comparable time window). I'm betting in this age of 'albums suck, I'll just download my favorite song,' Lady Gaga crushes Tiffany. And speaking of that, your numbers comparison conveniently neglects mentioning just how many of those downloads (which would have been records and/or albums in the 80s) Gaga has sold.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Kinda like Hanson?

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

R-Rated? was anyone older than 16 there?

6. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla New Member

I fear she has a penis.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Anyone who thinks Lady Gaga will just have 15 minutes is ignorant.

She is extremely talented and has a very good knack for show business. She writes her own music, sells out arenas all over the world and is an independent artist, not a processed face with a voice who does whatever record execs say.

She's only had two No. 1 singles, yes. But she's also had a No. 2, a No. 3, a No. 5 and No. 6 single. Tiffany had her two No. 1 singles and never sniffed the top 5 again.

She's a lot closer to Madonna than she is Tiffany. Or is Madonna just in minute 14?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

she is talented and knows what it takes to be a pop star, but "not a processed face"
    seriously?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I meant she's not the sterotypical mold of a flash in the fire pop star. Someone who can sing nice, is good looking and will do whatever everyone tells them to do. I call them processed pop stars. She's not like that.

Justin Bieber and Kris Allen come to mind there.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's funny to listen to grumpy, angry men growl about Lady Gaga's 15 minute clock, her lack of talent, her supposed place as the next teeny bopper mall icon. It's sort of like watching them fashion an internet t-shirt that screams "I am old and I hate everything! Hurry up and go away!"

If you really want to rage against the dying of the light here, there are plenty of more sensible options. Ke$ha is the absolute nadir of pop music. Fergie's solo career is just barely above that. But there is plenty of actual talent in what Gaga has going on. Behind the intentional provocation, there seems to be some actual craftsmanship with regards to presentation and songwriting. I do really like the fact that there are a lot of kids who feel totally ostracized by high school culture who adore her, and she's made it clear it's totally ok to be different. This is, after all, a woman who responded to constant meant-to-be-cruel rumors she was a hermaphrodite by joking about it in the Telephone video and in concerts. It's a good thing she's fairly normal looking, I think. Most people are. You can tell how bitter and grumpy someone is by how quickly they're willing to point out that she's "not very good looking."

To say that she's the heir to artists like Tiffany and 98 Degrees is to go full retard. Let me know when you find the clip where Tiffany joked about being a hermaphrodite, or Nick Lachey attempted to sing anything beyond the syrupy, squeaky clean pop lyrics about abstinence his record company kept shoving in front of him. Her entire gimmick is pushing boundaries, and like it or not, if you have any talent at all, the staying power that comes with risk-taking is a heck of a lot longer than artists who never venture beyond the sugary world of cheesy, hand-holding mall pop.

I don't particularly care for dance music or club music, but Bad Romance is a pretty good fucking song.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A Madonna ripoff is spreading a message that it's OK to be different?

12. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Wow. This is your interpretation of valid, critical opinions of your teenage crush? My fucking Cripes almighty! Get it together man. You know, Bad Romance is found by the vast majority to actually be just another shitty pop record. Like many many many other shitty pop songs. Go ahead and love her. worship her, jack to her. Whatever slings your hash fella. The fact is she's not talented. At least not musically. Marketing? Oh yeah, she's got talent for that. Exploiting pre-pubescent girls? Yes, big talent for that. Creating influential, groundbreaking musical compositions with thought provoking, original and poetic lyrical messages? Fuck no.

Draft saved Draft deleted