1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LADN bans jeans, sneakers, flip-flops, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Aug 1, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't like it? Drop trou and tell 'em to kiss your back bumper.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I don't know why professional dress is such anathema to so many journalists.

Put some damn pants on and be happy that you don't look like a blogger.

3. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

What he said.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the people bitching about dress codes, but working at places that treat us like shit and pay us wages that make slaves look rich and then forcing us to follow a prescribed dress code suck ass.

If newspaper editors and publishers treated us all like valued human beings and paid us wages commensurate with the effort we put in, I don't think too many people would be complaining about a dress code. I know I wouldn't.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wow, you think you have an employer who doesn't value you? Say hello to everyone else in America.

WTF? Wearing a polo shirt instead of a t-shirt is a burden?

Life's tough, ain't it?

6. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I see the charming editor of the LADN rescinded the dress code in favor of common sense. What a concept.

I couldn't figure out the ban on denim. In theory, I could have worn a blue blazer, pressed white shirt, nice denim jeans from Nordstrom, and Cole Haan sandals and be breaking the rules? I'd be welcomed at any restaurant short of Le Cirque if I wore that.

I could see this dress code: No flip-flops or beachwear.

Done.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a matter of having a dress code. I think it's more a matter of with all the problems this industry is having, you would think that the suits would have more on their minds than worrying if a guy is wearing a shirt with a couple of buttons and a collar on it.

8. aschaefe

aschaefe New Member

Yeah, but unlike most of those people, we're actually right, most of the time.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, and you'd think with all the news of drastic cutbacks that people would have more to worry about than whether their employer instituted a very relaxed dress code.

There are a whole lot of unemployed folks wearing whatever they want to wear these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted