1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LADN bans jeans, sneakers, flip-flops, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Aug 1, 2008.

1. At one place I worked, the wife of the ME suggested we would look good covering games wearing company blazers. The only reason management shot it down was they were too cheap to buy them.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sorta side note: There were baseball teams in the '60s and '70s that had team blazers to wear on the road. Seemed normal then.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

As long as we're going off the deep end...
    Members of SJ.ca, do any of you have an old '70s CBC blazer hanging around by chance? Pretty sporty, from what I remember....

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Coffee.... this Steve and Barry's. Barely ever heard of them. Couldn't even tell you where to find one around the DC area. It's not near me I know that. But Gap and their $30 polos are. Pass.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've never in my life paid full price for a polo. Usually LL Bean and Land's End have them on sale for $15-$20 and they are perfectly fine (I want a pocket and NO LOGO, and these qualify). My favorite, though, is a J.Crew that I got in their online clearance section a couple years ago. Really sturdy fabric that's gone through probably 100 washings and looks faded now but no wear otherwise.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The Old Navy by me has just solid color polos 1 for $10, 2 for $14 or 3 for $20. They last forever.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that the company didn't just make the employees buy them.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

No dress code here, although nobody wears shorts except the weekend. Jeans are pretty standard; I wear them every day I work. I used to work a couple of dress pants appearances in there in midweek but now don't really bother.

I don't have a problem with companies having dress codes as long as they're reasonable. What I have a huge hard time with is imposing them at a time like this.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used to swear by Old Navy for decent, reliable clothing. Recently, at least in the stores near me, the stuff has turned to shit.

Frank is right on paying full retail - no need to do that for anything.

10. I agree on Old Navy. Stuff I get there has ripped apart after one washing, no exaggeration there.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

According to their website: Potomac Mills, Cromwell Field, Eastpoint Mall or City Place Mall, depending on which side of DC you're on.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted