1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LADN bans jeans, sneakers, flip-flops, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Aug 1, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If Sam Zell owned the Daily News, there would be no problem here...

Personally, I'm all for a dress code, as long as it's not too stringent, and, as Mizzou exemplified, as long as it takes into account what somebody is doing.

I have no problem with nice shirts, dress-casual pants, etc., but the shoes requirement seems a bit tight, at least for sports people.

I go along with the no-sandals/flip-flops. But, sneakers/running shoes are staples of most sports reporters', and certainly, most sports copy editors', wardrobes, and, most of the time, they make sense in the setting.

Hardwood courts aren't supposed to be walked on in anything other than running running shoes. They are also the best, most comfortable and the most effective and efficient option for going up/down stadium/arena steps and racing around while running quotes on deadlines. They're practically the only option, outside of rubber rain gear/galoshes, when it comes to walking on muddy sidelines and fields, and they're probably the better, surer bets in icy conditions, too.

There's almost no setting in sports where such shoes would look totally out of place, as long as they're relatively clean and not full of holes, or sporting worn threads or laces.

And unless people are looking under your desk while you're sitting at it, they wouldn't be too noticeably out of place in the office, either.

The thing to do should be to dress appropriately, whatever your role.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I must have missed the bit where they mentioned hair

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Must be a treat for the co-workers who just can't get enough of your feet.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Heh. I dressed up. The ME walked in wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

On an unrelated note: every time I've seen him on the sidelines at an NFL game, FOX's Chris Myers has been rocking the suit-and-sneakers look.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I know sports anchors who do the suitcoat-tie-jeans look. Why not? You can't see below the table on-set anyway.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't know where you guys are finding polos for under $10. I was in the Gap today looking for some new ones no less, and they were $25 if you bought two. If you just bought one it was minimum of $30. At Old Navy they're close to $20 for one, and their selection sucks anymore.

I had a place that mandated I wear a shirt and tie to work during the week. I've had places much bigger and more respected not give a shit. What you wear doesn't mean shit about the work you do. It's foolishness and laziness to think that's what's going to make a difference. Show some respect, but geez.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Steve & Barry's (at least, until they die).

Exactly.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A photog I worked with at a paper once kept getting the gears for the way he dressed (shorts, sandals, t-shirts, hats). He was told to wear "pants that weren't jeans" and "shoes, not sandals."

He went to the Salvation Army and other thrift stores and put together the most horrible looking wardrobe I've ever seen — think high school kid dresses up in '70s clothes for Halloween . . . on a daily basis.

He wore for a few weeks straight, always telling management the clothes fit the code. Management finally relented.

NOTE: This is the same photog who wore a shirt to work that read "I'm a photographer, not a reporter" silk screened on the front. And "So, don't ask me questions" on the back.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you can train photographers not to take dumps on the carpet, you've done something.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The dress code policy is apparently mandated by the owners of the new building the Daily News is moving into in September. Not that it makes it any better. Pretty much everybody did wear jeans to work on Friday. I plan on wearing shorts and sandals on Sunday, like I have done every Sunday since I started working here in 1999. I wonder if Doug Hanes would approve of my sandals if one of them was shoved up his a**.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is shorts with a blazer acceptable? [/crossthreading]

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would say flip-flops and sandals aren't appropriate for the office. I would say an unkempt tee shirt isn't appropriate, although some tee shirts cost more than dress shirts. Heck, I bet the condition of some carpets should rule sandals out.

To apply no sneakers and jeans rules to somebody covering a game is dumb, and it is the sort of management which has brought Singleton to the low point where they currently reside.

Draft saved Draft deleted