1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LADN bans jeans, sneakers, flip-flops, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Scouter

Scouter Member

Our metro columnist had a piece today about how work dress codes have changed in recent year. He mentioned our paper has a policy that we can't wear shorts at work. Everyone in our department had shorts on last night. Oops...?

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I, for one, am glad to see yet another thread where people can bitch about what others should wear.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My ME wears jeans to work, and not just on Fridays. Just sayin'.

4. Sorry if I want to feel like I'm working in a professional office and not the Wal-Mart stock room.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Do you have to wear smocks?

6. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

I'm a shirt-and-tie guy. If the dress code keeps sliding to include screen-printed T-shirts and flip-flops, we may as well wear blue vests that say "Ask me how to subscribe!" on the back.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

At my shop, deskers have to wear a collared shirt (whether that's a polo or a button-down shirt), can wear jeans or slacks (shorts are OK on Sunday because it's a skeleton crew) and sneakers are OK too.
    We have people come into our office occassionally and I'm not dressed in a suit and tie but I still feel professional. Never had a problem.

Reporters are allowed to wear jeans as well, although most don't, as long as they are clean and not ripped or anything like that.

Personally I don't think you have to wear a suit and tie to be professional.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

What about ass-less chaps? (Is that redundant?)

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I talked to an LADN desker last night. He said he was going to have to throw away ALL of his clothes. He said there was a shitstorm at the HR office yesterday.
    And today, LAObserved reported that EVERYONE is wearing jeans.

10. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I've always considered the business casual during the week then just plain casual on the weekends a fairly good policy. It's bad enough that those of us on the desk have to come in on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights (4 p.m. to 1 a.m.), every week, year-round, so wearing shorts and flip flops every once in a while shouldn't be a crime. As long as the work gets done, no biggie.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Just a commentary on the redundancy of these threads.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Workplaces have every right to install a dress code. I have one for my shop.

Then again, as mentioned before, it's "we expect you to wear clothes." Most of the people who work for me aren't people I want to see naked. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted