1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and Gents, the AJC reorg list

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 4, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Those budget meetings must be absolutely brutal.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That's a job I would love.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Internal Cox newsletter sent out a couple weeks back listed Ramos in one of about eight department heads position. Forget what his actual responsibility was. Jeff D'Alessio, currently an ASE, was also listed as one of two responsible for working with beat "teams" on a daily basis.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Coupla other key sports figures:

Ramos is N&I Senior Editor/Operations
    Jeff D'Alessio (the curren CSE) is N&I Senior Editor

5. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

Intersting move for Rana Cash -- Newsroom recruiter?

I believe she had just been promoted to ASE.

6. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

"Any word on where Ramos is going? I thought he did a great job at the AJC."

Seriously?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Birdscribe can chime in on the print-side sports editor, Kevin Whaley.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That's just my personal opinion. Maybe it is more his writers (Steve Hummer, Tony Barnhart, Jeff Schultz) that I like. But having lived in that area for much of my life, I always thought he knew what the readers wanted.

A little too much NASCAR for me, though. But I'm just not a fan of driving in circles.

9. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

So Rana Cash went from Georgia Tech beat writer to ASE to newsroom recruiter? Man, they shuttle more people from writers to editors than any paper, I think.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

In charge of mosquitoes.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Indeed I can.... excellent editor, good guy. Best word editor I've ever had the honor of working with.

That list, however... wow. My head is spinning trying to figure out what exactly everyone does and who they answer to. This looks like a food chain without beginning or end.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm not sure if it is the same at the AJC, but a SWAT editor is a roving position. If the Falcons are in the Super Bowl, they move to Sports. If CNN announces 250 layoffs, they move over to National or Metro. They move to the hot spots.
    That said, never seen it work. It becomes political. Some section, some project is always behind and the SWAT editor(s) aren't available when you need them.
    It's a "pie-in-the-sky" and works at ideological Utopias? Anyone ever see an ideological Utopia in the news-gathering industry?

Draft saved Draft deleted