1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and gentlemen, your London Rippers!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Huggy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Lotta argy bargy in London (Ont.) after the unveiling of the name and logo for the city's new Frontier League baseball team: London Rippers.

No, the team is not named after the term occasionally used up here to refer to the girls who worked in London at Blondie's, Flesh Gordons or the Beef Baron (I & II), but rather some feel it refers to Jack the Ripper.

The owner/GM's explanation sounds really stupid and like something that would have come out of a youth sports book in the 1930s:

"The character's name is Diamond Jack, a frustrated hockey player who found he could 'rip' the cover off baseballs. Despite his talent, teams grew weary of the expense of replacing balls so Diamond Jack decided to form his own team in London, Ontario."

I think the name is stupid (lotta goofy names in that loop, the Normal Cornbelters?) but I kinda like the logo:

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/columnists/morris_dalla_costa/2011/11/16/18976166.html

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/11/16/18975986.html

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: Ladies and genetlemn, your London Rippers!

I can't imagine how people might feel it's in tribute to Jack the Ripper, considering its logo:

[​IMG]

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: Ladies and genetlemn, your London Rippers!

I woulda gone with the Charlie Mansons.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Diamond Jack? Shoulda gone with "Saucy Jack."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Don't care about the name. That's a cool-looking jersey though.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The previous Frontier League team, the Werewolves of London, beat the crap out of this.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ha, good one....

"You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack you're a haughty one."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We have a Frontier League team here. The league sucks, but the beer's cheap enough, I guess.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

OTR, do you local baseball leagues have fundraisers through your Frontier League team? I think my local team, the Crestwood, Ill., er, Windy City Thunderbolts, does that with leagues around me. I swear, half the attendance for the year is tickets sold through youth baseball/softball league fundraisers.

The other half comes for $1 beer night.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Love how they have to let you know that it is actually a professional baseball team in the logo.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Oh how I miss hot summer nights watching (sort of) the Otters play and drinking cheap, cheap beer. The drive home always kinda sucked, though.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

RIP Rippers we hardly knew ye!

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/baseball/2012/07/24/20023916.html

Draft saved Draft deleted