1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and gentlemen ... start your running Indy 500 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, May 25, 2008.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

It's about time someone showed some emotion at Indy. Other than AJ Foyt, whose early exits in the 1980s made for some good theater, all anybody wants to say about controversy at that place is "it's just racing."

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

EXCUSE ME? I asked a goddamn question sportschick.

Read it again, sweetheart. I said that I'm an idiot savant when it comes watching racing. I'm not defending Briscoe by any means. That's what it looked like and I said "I could be wrong."

Chill out.

It fucking pisses me off to read bullshit like that.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So is it sexism to call bullshit on her for acting like an ass? Because, if so, I guess she can just do whateverthefuck she wants wheneverthefuck she wants.

You know what? It WAS Briscoe's fault. Not the first time she'll be knocked out of the race by somebody else's fuckup and not the last time. Know what else? She's knocked people out, too.

Sorry, but I saw Tony Kanaan get fucked by his own teammate ... and not act like a pissy little bitch. Wasn't watching that closely, though, so if he showed his ass, too, I apologize.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Just my two cents, but part of me believes she gets as animated as she does, and in the faces of the other guys, because she believes she hasn't gotten enough respect from them.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, I'm sure pitching a fit will be JUST the thing to earn her that respect.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Looks like the PR handlers got a leash on Danica before she got on TV...

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ok, mustard, but implying that Danica's a "pissy little bitch" doesn't help the perception of things.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not sexist: Calling Danica for her fit.
    Sexist: Mentioning 100% of the women in the race earned a DNF.

There's a difference.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sportschick--

I would have been very happy to see her win. I think she's a damn good driver and gets downgraded by people who don't know anything about racing.

And her reaction was pathetic. She gets knocked out and responds by walking all the way through the pit, passing through the pit boxes along the way, to confront Briscoe? A few weeks after running down a guy because he was in a pit box where he didn't belong? She needs to handle it better, period.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

And exactly how were the PR handlers for Danica allowed to be ON PIT ROAD DURING A RACE?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Haven't seen that comment on this thread, but I know it gets said in the real world.

And who knows? Maybe she has a temper because she feels she's being treated unfairly due to sexism? A lot of the coverage treats her like Tiger Woods now. "Indianapolis 500 update .. . Danica Patrick is eighth, while such-and-such leads."

Either way, open-wheel racing (I never know what to call it . .CART/IndyCar/etc.) officials likely cringe a little bit when they see their star attraction freak out like that during their showcase race. There is a fine line between "I'm gonna show that I belong, and that I won't take any crap!" and "I freak out when things don't go my way."

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Gimmie a damn break, SC. It WAS Briscoe's fault.

But if you've watched any Indy racing, and I know you have, you know that those things do happen in the pits. It's not atypical.

It didn't warrant anywhere near the petulant reaction she had. It wasn't like she got immediately out of the car and stormed the Briscoe pit. This was several minutes after it was over.

It was ridiculously over the top, not to mention dangerous given that she walked through several active pits during the race. Ironic, given that she was exonerated (rightly, I might add) for hitting someone in an active pot box at Kansas.

She deserves, and should get, a big fine for her reaction.

If you act like that, you deserve all of the criticism you get. I don't get what gender you are.

She needs to grow up.

Draft saved Draft deleted