1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and gentlemen ... start your running Indy 500 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, May 25, 2008.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. A driver has a right to be pissed off about getting knocked out and have a few words, but she takes the cake for putting on a fucking floor show for all the world to see on television.

Storming down the pit lane like that adds another reason for me to have a little hate for her if she keeps this act going.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

was watching the yanks beat the mariners. what happened with danica? ??? ??? ???

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

If this were NASCAR, there would be a fistfight [/Tony Stewart]

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Her reaction was foolish and dangerous. She made a complete ass of herself.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When she calms down and sees the replay, she'll still be mad, but she'll dumb for making a big production of it. It isn't unusual to lose the back end coming out of the pits in Indy car. Briscoe's fault, but it happens.

And it's not as if Danica is above reproach when it comes to making mistakes.

6. Was she that upset when she struck another team's crew member a few weeks ago?

Still, if she were a guy wouldn't her behavior be par for the course? Or is that just NASCAR? I honestly don't know.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If it was short-track, they'd be dueling with tire irons

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Teams were in the pits under yellow. Danica was coming out, about as far to the other side of the pit boxes as a driver can get, and Ryan Briscoe came out of his box extremely wide and clipped the back of Danica.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED THERE?

Goddammit ABC!

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Bad thing is, Bubbler, I'm afraid that she'll try to rationalize her act for being pissed at Briscoe. I saw the replay on ESPNews, and being the idiot savant of open-wheel and NASCAR racing that I am, it looked like, to me, that she was a little slow after pulling out of the pits and Briscoe shot out of his like a cannon and they bumped. I could be wrong.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Very good point, write-brained. What was the level of contrition from her, and reaction from the team whose crew member she hit?

Danica's temper when knocked out of a race is pretty well-known. She's had a couple of these incidents (one which got a friend of mine a hell of a clip). Yes, other racers do that crap too; there have been plenty of physical altercations when people blame each other for getting knocked out.

But if she is to be the face of open-wheel racing at a time when its leaders feel like they can finally make inroads toward being as popular as NASCAR once again, it would probably be a good idea to not make herself The Greatest Spectacle in Racing at The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is it sexism, or a backlash because of overhyped coverage for someone who until recently had not accomplished a lot on the racetrack?

Sure you're not playing that card a little quickly?

Draft saved Draft deleted