1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome yooooour New Orleans Pelicans!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 5, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The San Diego Clippers were named (I believe) after the clipper ships that traveled the West Coast. Those ships also stopped in LA.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A good team name sounds good and makes sense - it doesn't try too hard. It sounds as good today as it did when it was announced.

San Antonio Spurs
    Seattle Mariners
    San Francisco 49ers
    New Orleans Saints

The bad ones stick around like a bad tattoo.
    Toronto Raptors
    Tampa Bay Rays
    Nashville Predators

3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

FWIW I always thought that was an America's Cup reference, the races being held in San Diego at the time (this was before countries like Switzerland started winning it)

But New Orleans can adopt a new mascot, Tony Montana

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh it's on, bitch!

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Oh, shit. You've done it now.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I heard the choice came down to Pelicans, Krewe and Brass. So, as far as I'm concerned, they made the right choice: A good old-fashioned pluralized nickname.

Besides, if I'm watching the Krewe, I'd keep getting images of a prison guard in a football uniform holding a rifle and yelling "Crewe! ... Crewe! ... Crewe!"

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The name "Tampa Bay Rays" is all that extra ink one gets to cover up and hide the original regrettable tattoo -- which probably makes it worse than before.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Got your back.

Predators name and logo rooted in history

The Predators unveiled their logo, a saber-toothed tiger, in Nashville's downtown First American Center on September 25, 1997, 26 years after a fang and foreleg bone of a saber-toothed tiger were found in a cave just below the building's address.

In May of 1971, excavation began at the downtown Nashville site of what today is the 28-story First American Center. Construction workers drilled through 20 feet of solid rock before coming to a soft muddy area. Further digging revealed a cave containing the nine-inch fang and a foreleg bone of a saber-toothed tiger, extinct for at least 10,000 years.

Radiocarbon tests on the specimen revealed that it could have possibly been one of the last of its breed to exist. Scientists believe that some time during the last glacial period (15,000-80,000 years ago) part of the cave was the den of the saber-toothed tiger.

The discovery, made in August 1971, marks only the fifth of its kind in North America. The cave, located beneath the building, is preserved under concrete for historic and educational purposes.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It is on the state seal.

Charlotte needs to have the Hornets name back. The history of that dates back to the Revolutionary War.

But if we're shipping names back, why not get the Jazz name back? Call Utah's team the Mitts.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have a Myrtle Beach Pelicans t-shirt. That is all, carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted