1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaDainian Tomlinson named NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dreunc1542, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Kable

Kable Member

Agreed.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I understand the venom aimed at some of the voters who didn't vote for LaDainian Tomlinson - though I don't agree because Drew Brees and Peyton Manning need little defense - but those who are thinking Tomlinson isn't the best back in the NFL is absolutely nuts.

It's not even close.

Yes, Larry Johnson is a good runner. But he's not a good receiver and doesn't want to block. To him, those things aren't important, which is why I would have to be terribly desperate to even consider putting him on any team I was compiling.

Shaun Alexander is a pretty good receiver, but I don't think he's near the dynamic runner that Tomlinson is and his blocking doesn't overwhelm me.

As for Mr. Tomlinson, I think we're looking at the best AND most complete running back since Walter Payton. And I'm the biggest Payton fan who isn't a Bears fan most of you would probably know. As Oz astutely points out, Tomlinson didn't just burst on the scene and take advantage of a nice situation. He was producing when the Chargers had no passing game, football types were doubting Brees and Antonio Gates was still trying to adjust from sneakers to cleats.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is one of the few things baseball gets right. By naming the MVP, Cy Young and rookie-of-the-year awards well after the season, it puts baseball in the news and gives the spotlight to the award winners.

Where the NFL really is stupid is naming the Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees and the coach of the year on the day before the Super Bowl when it is going to get completely buried.

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I want to know who the moron was that voted Stephen Jackson as the NFL's Offensive Player of the Year.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Perhaps Jackson had something to do with the guy's fantasy football team.

Draft saved Draft deleted