1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaDainian Tomlinson named NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dreunc1542, Jan 4, 2007.

1. trounced

trounced Active Member

I can understand a vote for Brees, however, it is interesting that one could argue that Brees had a better season in 2004 than he did this year. He had a higher completion percentage in 2004, more touchdowns (27 to 26), fewer interceptions (7 to 11), and a higher QB rating (104.8 to 96.2). I think some people feel like he just fell off the turnip truck this season.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Manning was the MVP of my fantasy team, but then we played with a really weird points system that meant that Jake Plummer would routinely get more points for me than Frank Gore, Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister or Marvin Harrison.

And really, that's all that matters. Without him, the Vestal Virginians don't make the title game.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah? Name the "handful of backs" playing today who are anywhere near the player Tomlinson is. (There aren't any. Tomlinson's the best player in football... by a good margin).

But the column is right on. Tomlinson is the best player. But Brees was the most valuable to his team. No one had the Saints doing anything this year, and their season was a direct reflection of what Brees brought to their team.

4. The gap between Tomlinson and Larry Johnson and (a healthy) Shaun Alexander isn't as large as you would have us believe.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ragu has a roll-up stuffed into his ears.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The gap was big enough, though, to make a distinction between an MVP and simply great backs.

Oh, I'm surprised Columbo didn't correct you on this, but Frank Gore had every bit the season as Tomlinson. Just ask him and he will tell you so. Frank Gore for MVP!

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

LT scores fewer than 10 TDs on the Niners.

Not even a question.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In your mind it isn't. Plenty of others would doubt your assertion.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As I would have you believe?

How about as the guys developing game plans and the players playing against each of them would have you believe?

The margin between LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson (and about 8 to 10 other very good backs) is this: When all is said and done, people will be talking about Tomlinson as one of handful of best all-around football players ever.

They'll be talking about Larry Johnson as a very good running back, who was among the best runners during his period (think Priest Holmes--although Holmes ran behind a better line. But I wouldn't overstate that, because Will Shields and Brian Waters who are still blocking for KC are among the best run blockers in the league).

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Frank Gore scored nine touchdowns this season. The 49ers scored 12 rushing touchdowns this season.

Do you really believe that Tomlinson wouldn't have matched Gore's nine touchdowns or the team's 12 rushing? Before you answer that, here are some career Tomlinson numbers to help make your decision, with the Chargers' record by the season ...

2001 (5-11) -- 10 touchdowns
    2002 (8-8) -- 15 touchdowns
    2003 (4-12) -- 17 touchdowns
    2004 (12-4) -- 18 touchdowns
    2005 (9-7) -- 20 touchdowns
    2006 (14-2) -- 31 touchdowns

... So yeah, Tomlinson put up double-digit touchdowns even when the Chargers were down, like the 49ers are now.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

But you see, LT wasn't good enough to go to Miami.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Maybe Manning got votes for his commercials. Face time!

And, hey, Alert to Baseball: You can announce your Player awards before the postseason's been over for almost a month.

Draft saved Draft deleted