1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladainian Tomlinson and Reggie Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, White was one of the best backs in the country that year. I think he also led the the team in TD's as well.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boy you're all over me tonight huh?

Great backs don't split carries in the national title game. Period.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Warrick Dunn is great. I love that guy. He's the exception to the rule, though. And his running style is different than Bush's: Dunn does much of his running between the tackles, whereas Bush is often looking for the edge.

Even though they are (supposedly) only separated by two inches (Dunn - 5'9''; Bush - 5'11''), Dunn seems to have a significantly lower center of gravity and a better ability to absorb a hit and keep his footing. Bush, on the other hand, appears easy to arm tackle. Reggie's going to have to work on his balance if he wants to achieve Dunn's NFL success level, IMO.

Dunn deserves all the credit in the world. He's been consistently doubted since he entered the NFL and all he's ever done is produce.

4. stevenash

stevenash Member

that's true, LT did that a long ways back. But!! Reggie bush has changed the way running backs have run. when he runs though he's supposed to run N and S, he runs E and W because he's so fast. also his got enough jukes to get past every single defender on the field. i have feeling reggie will be a great RB and in maybe 4-5 years people are going to be running sweeps and tosses a lot more then in the past, and they're going to be doing screens and short hitches with the RB a lot more

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This post is too stupid to warrant a response, though I guess I just gave it one.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll take who were the best and worst picks in most fantasy drafts for $1,000, Alex... :)

I'm not calling Reggie Bush a bust. I'm not saying he won't turn into a good pro, maybe even a great pro...

But right now, he is the most overrated player in the NFL. Some of that has to do with all of the commercials he had out there before he ever played in a game, but most of it has to do with ESPN creaming itself every time he touches the ball...

The guy isn't even the best rookie on his own team...

LDT meanwhile is the best player in the NFL and it's not even close...

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That O.J. Simpson guy did pretty well with the toss sweep.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Colston is a beast, but don't Bush on his stats right he's a pretty good decoy and he's starting to get better at this running thing. Everyone knows that it's really hard for a RB to get going if he only gets 10-13 carries a game. But right know, I have to say that Colston is the best rookie on that team. But in years to come, Bush will be a pro bowl player.

P.S. Did he just say Reggie Bush was the first player to run E to W?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, he did. Obviously, he never saw Franco Harris run. Just ask Jim Brown (does anybody even remember what I'm referring to there?)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Haven't the Bears gotten more out of Devin Hester than the Saints have gotten from Bush?

Bush may someday make the Pro Bowl, but it will be as a returner, not as a RB...

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Revolutionize the game? It isn't like these guys invented the forward pass or popularized the idea of the blitzing safety. Tomlinson is the most talented player in the NFL, period. He will go down as one of the best running backs ever. Bush doesn't belong in the same conversation. And frankly, I'm not sure who you are talking to, because no one I know is talking about Bush revolutionizing the game of football. He really needs to prove that he can take the beating of a 16-game plus playoffs season as an every down back. I think it will probably be what limits his career, but I hope not. He is an incredible athlete. Let's just not get carried away.

As good as Tomlinson is, I can't say he is revolutionizing the game. I'd say there have been four players in my lifetime, who were revolutionary in some way: Lawrence Taylor, the Joe Montana/Jerry Rice combo (and I expect arguments on this one) and Barry Sanders. I shouldn't have to explain how LT changed the game... Montana did two things. He ushered in the idea of the "cool under pressure QB, who can lead the fourth quarter drive" and even though Bill Walsh deserves the credit, Montana and Jerry Rice changed the way the game is played by substituting a short passing game for a running game in a ball control offense. Sanders was just a freak. You'd turn on Sportscenter to see Lions highlights, even though they sucked, because you knew each week you'd see Barry doing something you had never seen before on a football field.

Tomlinson is an amazing player, but he falls just short of Sanders. The game right now is really geared toward an all-purpose back in the Tomlinson mold. Between zone-blocking schemes and the more prevalent use of the tight end as an offensive weapon on the offensive side, and the proliferation of cover two and just about every player on the field blitzing out of it, it opens things up for a back like Tomlinson. It was just 10 to 15 years ago, but when Sanders was playing, it was pretty much seven or eight men in the box and let's see your best moves. Tomlinson has to deal with that far less.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Oh my god. Nash's comment sounded like something from NFL Live.

Outing Elert: stevenash is an ESPN spy.

Draft saved Draft deleted