1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

So far, this is an isolated incident from what we know.

Both men and women's team should be allowed to play. Hugely isn't playing, nor will he be practicing, traveling with the team, et cetera.

I can't call this a black eye because this was between two people, and not a team.

LAX, like football, basketball, and other collegiate sports is going to be filled with troubling stories like these all over the place. It's sports like LAX, swimming, or gymnastics where we don't expect stuff like to happen in contrast to football and hoops.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

He was officially arrested. Looks dead-eyed and bewildered in the mugshot.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=12416192

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A little bit more info from the local TV station:
    http://www.nbc29.com/global/story.asp?s=12416452

Sounds a little strange. Her roomate found her, called it in as a possible alcohol OD to 911. So, the "visible trauma" wasn't so visible to them... plus, despite trauma so obvious to cops, COD unknown?

I realize that's all they're releasing now, but just from that much a quick murder charge seems incredibly rash. Too little investigation.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If this turns out to be an overreaction by the cops this kid's life is ruined.

However, if he killed her then fry his ass.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Killick you have no idea what evidence the proscecutor has or does't have to call it "rash" based on a TV website report.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Doesn't first degree murder mean it was premeditated?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Most psychos, regardless of class, don't like being told no. No?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As a rule, yes.

And the kid's douchebag level - whatever it may be - probably stems more from his upbringing than his choice of sports.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Unless the kid told cops he'd killed her. You're right, all I have is the TV/news reports so far.
    However, I've seen cases seemingly way more clear cut and the cops hadn't charged anyone that fast. I guess we'll see, as more info comes out.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

No kidding. To even speculate that the cops know only as much as the public is idiotic. Obviously they're holding plenty back and obviously they know a lot more than we do about the whole situation.

It could be a matter of this guy being over at the girl's house, then leaving, then the roommate coming into the room and finding the girl dead. Would it be rash then?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does cville still have the same Police Chief from a few years ago? IIRC he is from Baltimore, so he should not be over his head with this case.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It does not. Murder in commission with another crime -- rape, kidnapping, robbery, burglary -- can be first degree murder.

Draft saved Draft deleted