1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lack of jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by studthug12, Nov 2, 2020.

1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I know with COVID, businesses are obviously hurting financially. Newspapers, everyone. But what an important time it is for reporting. It makes it that much more depressing seeing the lack of jobs available or open positions companies choose not to fill. Looking on this board and the opening page goes back months before reaching Page 2.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Looking at JournalismJobs.com, I'm seeing a lot of new television openings but not many print positions. Certainly the lack (or uncertainly over) of games to cover has to be part of the issue, but the economics aren't in favor of adding staff. Catch 22 situation in an industry already shedding jobs like snakeskin.

JournalismJobs.com -- The Job Board for Media Professionals

Adam94 likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Plus this is "layoffs/buyout" season in the newspaper business.

maumann likes this.
  4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Layoffs/buyout season, COVID, and monopolies.

The Holy Trinity of unemployment in journalism.

maumann likes this.
  5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Right but Page 1 goes back to June lol.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The only publisher to have release third quarter earnings is Belo, which owns the Dallas Morning News. Advertising revenues were down 19%. I don't think the rest of the industry is doing materially better (Tribune and Gannett report later this week).

Given the rising COVID case count and the saccular economic problems the industry confronts it makes no sense for a company to hire someone until the country comes out of COVID and publishers get a feel for what their new business model is, if they do survive.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

COVID. COVID. COVID.

8. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Given the forum, let's call it the hat trick.

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Ha. Yeah I get it, just saddened by lack of jobs and profession. I get it, but still blows.

10. Robby O'Daniel

Robby O'Daniel New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted