1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Labor problems in Arena Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Players from the Orlando and Pittsburgh teams cut after they planned to walk out at game time. Every player from both teams was cut and replacement players signed. NFL Network crew doesn't have a roster for the broadcast.

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/sports/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/3/9/predators_will_play_

2. Why, on earth, would anyone play Arena Football for $400 a game? Those players need to hold out because they are getting absolutely hosed if that's they're true compensation.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Imagine your career highlight being a stint as an arena football scab.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Isn't this where the invisible hand of the market is supposed to strike? Someone starts a rival league, offering an average $800 a game and thus - with better players and a better product - thrives?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The old minimum in the previous incarnation of the AFL was $31,000 per year with each team having a salary cap of $2 million. With each player earning $6,400 per year, the salary cap is $128,000, as each player is paid the same. There has to be a middle ground of $15,000-$20,000 per year for a few months.

6. Not necessarily. This might be where the invisible hand of the market says that this product costs more to produce than consumers are willing to pay, and so the whole thing should be dissolved. If owners truly can't pay more than $400 per player, then they probably will have to shut this thing down. The likelihood of injury alone should push players away from this.

7. dixiehack

If they can't pay more than $400 per game, maybe the invisible hand should sign a lease for the armory at the fairgrounds instead of an NBA arena.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would do this in a heart beat if I could play football at anywhere near the requisite level.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Here's the hometeam QB:

[​IMG]

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did they cut everybody? Flipped over to take a look and some uniforms have names on them, some don't.

11. dixiehack

I guess "We go to Florida and I get the money." only works in hockey.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Talk about your amazing superpowers. This guy can become invisible:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted