1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times (update) will cut 150 from newsroom, 250 overall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Jun 27, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: LA Times layoffs rumor

However, if those laid off can show a pattern designed to circumvent the WARN act, could they not take LAT to court?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Among the exceptions to the WARN act: if 50-499 workers lose their jobs and that total is less than 1/3 the total active workforce at a single employment site.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

so, we still going to find out today or what?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Grifter, I think VJ pretty much gave it away.
    I have heard nothing official.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

wasn't sure there since we haven't heard anything official today.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That IS the rumbling - let's just hope it is wrong.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow.
    All I can say is that I am really glad I have a job right now.
    And I really feel for the people who have a giant ax over their heads.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, considering there are Singleton-esque situations going on at other Tribune papers (Hartford, Baltimore), it's not surprising. Jaw-dropping, staggering and disbelieving, yes, but, really, not surprising. Still, I know more than a few people at the LAT. Not a good time. For them, or anyone.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

LA Times just like NY Times. Ultra-liberal paper with no objectivity and only purpose is to continually hammer away at Bush, Cheney, etc. for no purpose other than because they can. Bush and Cheney can be idiots plenty of times, but LAT demonizes them and all conservatives and traditional values while embracing Al Queda and those puked-out prisoners at Guantanamo, and they wonder why their readership and ad sales are nosediving.

These are tough times all around for print media, of which I am a member, and my heart goes out to anyone who loses a job, like the FW S-T folks last week. But considering just how bad things are at LAT, I"ve got to believe they bring a good bit of it upon themselves because they are out of touch with many of their readers

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've read plenty of dumb things on this site and I have posted plenty of dumb things, but this is one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read.

11. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

Dude, these are hard times all the way around. Agreed. But tying the print apocalypse to a left wing agenda is absurd.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Classy.

Draft saved Draft deleted