1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times to stop attending USC and UCLA practices

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 26, 2012.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Mike Riley should be every college football beat writer's dream coach. His open door policy is magnified by the assholishness 40 miles to the south, where Oregon closes practice to everyone but those with deep pockets and has a head coach who says zip.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Lane Kiffin apparently has a sense of humor.

And like anything that puts UCLA in a negative light, news of Mora's displeasure with UCLA media personnel along with kicking out the rest of the media quickly spread across town, prompting Kiffin to open his post-practice interview by telling reporters, "I love my SID."

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think that if I was pursuing a degree it would be difficult to schedule all my required my classes and get over to the practice field and get into uniform by 11:00 A.M.. But I suppose that just means I am naive to believe anyone in Corvallis cares about athletes getting a degree.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Dick Vitale ripped Mora on twitter for chewing out the SID publicly. Said those guys work hard for little pay. Good on Dickie V.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Simers wrote a column on Sunday about it.

6. accguy

accguy Member

To me there is a middle ground on this. A coach I covered allowed practice to be open on Tuesdays for the whole time and was closed the rest of the week.

It allowed the beat writers to gain some insight, see how much injured players were able to do, etc. But provided the staff other days to put in trick plays, chew guys out, etc., without hacks being around.

Everybody wins.

The problem with too many coaches is that they enjoy being a dick for the sake of being a dick too much for my taste.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nah, you ain't naive. But some classes may be available in the afternoon as well.

I've found it interesting that you get some basketball teams that practice at 6 a.m. or so, which allows the players plenty of time to go their classes, and gets them in bed early instead of staying out late and potentially getting in trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted