1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times to run ads on section fronts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 1, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I don't see this as too big a deal. Provided the ad doesn't dwarf the page, it shouldn't be too bad of a problem.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Front page ads are the norm. It just makes business sense and that's all.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

We did some initial screaming when they sold 6 col by 3 inch banner ads across the bottom. They're just a fact of life. You have 18 inches less news hole, that's all. It doesn't affect design at all. It's a smaller page. No big deal.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What's worse than ads on the section fronts are the Weekly World News-ish stories that take up more than a half-page on the inside (not including a huge, page A3 teaser photo...)

I think this is the dumbest story I've ever seen in a major newspaper...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-monroe2aug02,1,4682119.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, I would hit Marilyn-incarnated's daughter. I do know that. :D

6. Flash

Flash Guest

The only section that should be ad-free is op-ed.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We have strip ads on our sports cover. And in our business section, there's an ad in the ear of the mast.

8. scalper

scalper Member

The more ads they sell, the longer we all have jobs. Pretty simple.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know if I agree with that.
    The NYTimes has ads on its second edit page and you can argue that the NYT has the most influential editorial page in the world.
    Since every paper has the right to refuse an ad, that takes care of the objectionable stuff. My paper has refused ads, lots of ads actually.
    You just need to know your readership and have local people making local decisions.

10. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Another Tribune Co. paper -- the Newport News (Va) Daily Press -- sent out an email to the newsroom this afternoon saying they will be running six-column strip ads across the bottom of the section fronts.

Maybe the Trib is trying to cover the $2 million it gave to the Dodgers on Monday as a part of the Maddux trade.

11. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

frank i think you just figured out why our industry is dying! all this time, we've been making people lobby for ads instead of pay for them.

newspapers just might live!

Draft saved Draft deleted