1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times to get smaller?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 21, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And I don't mean space cuts. Yeah, this probably saves on newsprint, but sounds like they may be going the route of Cincinnati and Portland in terms of newspaper design.

Thoughts?

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/08/la_times_asking_readers_a.php

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It kills me every time I pick up the Star-Telegram how tiny it is. If you put it next to the paper from 15 years ago, it looks like a kid's toy version of a newspaper. Actually, it looks like that even without the old paper to compare it to.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

(Insert metro newspaper name here) is getting smaller.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, all papers are getting smaller. But not many are switching to a tab format. I don't think readers like the tabloid for anything other than inserts. But just shrinking the paper a bit is not a big deal. You get used to it quickly ... ours has shrunk a few times, and it does look cartoonishly small next to some of our old ones, but I don't give it much of a though after a few weeks of reading it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Cincinnati is really sad. I hadn't seen it until I visited for a weekend and almost thought the paper was just a mini-edition for my hotel.

Draft saved Draft deleted