1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times' Steve Lopez on the newspaper business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

In sequel column today, he calls Tribune Co. "hog butchers."

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-me-lopez23jun23,0,6017985.column?coll=la-home-headlines

2. Worth revisiting. Two years and nobody in newspaper management still can figure it out.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The hits and subtle wit just keep on comin'.

You look at the date on that, and realize just how perceptive Steve Lopez really was, and is. He's a true treasure of the newspaper. That column could run tomorrow, and be just as accurate, relevant and impacting.

Most perceptive of all, of course, was that wonderfully irreverent opening salvo.

"Dick Riordan called my house Wednesday morning to repeat that he was willing to give me a tryout as a waiter at his restaurant, even though there wasn’t much support for the idea among his staff. I showed up at the Original Pantry on Thursday and was given an apron, a bowtie and a paper hat, which could very well become my new uniform if I keep writing about the gentlemen who sign my checks."

Gotta love the truth and daring that Lopez brings to the table. But, be careful, Steve. The paper can ill afford to lose you, or your voice.

4. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

There are a lot of non-profits that turn a profit and pay decent wages. The difference is, the well-run ones plow the profit back into the organization.

Draft saved Draft deleted