1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times sports section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by starrman, Jul 29, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Another six-pager today, with ads.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The lean economic scene and sickly-looking sections notwithstanding, I'm going to say the Times sports department is likely saving up some of its now-slashed allotted space budget for the next two to three weeks.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

All the bean counters will do with declining subscriptions is blame editorial and cut further. Or blame advertising for not getting ads when advertisers can see the product's going down the drain. Or blame circulation when they're not getting the tools they need. Or blame production even though it has equipment that should have been retired at the start of the millennium.

They'll NEVER blame themselves for their "do more with less" mantra.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The LAT needs some Starrman justice.

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Good god! WE get six pages with ads. Circulation 22,000. :eek:
    I'll never bitch about space again

6. calibretto

calibretto Member

that makes me depressed.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

How much of this is the economy and how much is an attitude that "entertainment and obituaries of people who were in the movie industry are more important than sports" ?

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The progression of most viewed stories is an even nicer touch.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

One of the guys in the office noticed this tonight and said it didn't look like anything was missing ... except the horse agate, which they stopped running.

10. maberger

maberger Member

i'm sure there must ber LATers here who can answer fully, but before this round of cuts, sports was still getting whacked and had been for last couple of years.

i don't remember calendar suffering -- at least not notably so -- but of course the section is jammed with movie ads, and idiot TV series summaries, and stories in the monday health section like "was that disease on LOST really medically accurate?" seriously, 20 inches a week on whether something in TV series was actually medically feasible.

sucking up to the industry is big business out here. perhaps some of that has been a nod to david geffen in the ongoing hope he would buy the paper, but IMO entertainment has at least held its own as sports -- and probably every other section -- has suffered.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, Bill Dwyre has been awfully quiet through all the turmoil out there. Would love to know what he thinks of his dear paper's nosedive.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not even LAX strip club ads?

Draft saved Draft deleted