1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA TIMES Non Coverage of local event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rudy Petross, May 31, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I see your point too. If I ha a writer to spare, yeah, it would be neat to have him or her spend all day on a feel-good piece on Betty Bodyslam's day at state, built around an agate recap. But if I've got limited bodies, I have to ask "what are most of my readers most interested in?"

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Trying to make sense out of any Tribune decision these days is like hitting yourself in the hand with a hammer and then interviewing your hand to figure out what happened.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't remember the Arizona Republic doing much on Phil Mickelson during his college days.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would be curious what papers are covering this.

5. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

My hand said Sam Zell thought it was the best move at the time.

6. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

I am here for AP and doing stuff for NCAA.com, other than the two golf magazines, I have not seen a paper represented. OC Register sent columnist and San Diego is coming if SDSU makes the match play.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What is the local angle for the LAT? "Big golf tournament ... er, sort-of-big golf tournament involving nobody you've ever heard of comes to town"?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wish they would have sent me. (Of course they're not sending me from Va. to LA to cover it, I'm joking.) As it is, I'm watching on NCAA.com to keep up with it.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kings are in Stanley Cup Final, Dodgers are in first place, Angels seem to be turning it around, Lakers ponder future and high schools are playing championship games in baseball and softball this weekend.

Where does college golf fit in on that list?

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Even when it's local, how many readers can possibly care about USC or UCLA golf? 1 in 1,000? If you were in a college town where there's nothing else but Your School, fine. The idea that such noncoverage is mystifying is mystifying to me.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm in this camp. If they had people free and/or stringers available, then covering it would be fine. But I'd be interested in how many readers (who are not affiliated with the program or related to any of the players) have ever bemoaned the lack of college golf coverage in their local papers.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Here I thought this was going to be about them not covering MMA again.

Draft saved Draft deleted