1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Frankly, I hope so. He belongs to a different and better era there, a link back to Otis Chandler. I'm optimistic that he doesn't need their paychecks anymore, and his name always stood for the journalism of what we do, not the miserable, low-grade management foisted upon it.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, the sad part is that the suits wouldn't care or grasp the meaning behind it. Just one higher paid employee off the ledger.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I just cancelled my subscription. Had it in some form or another since I moved here in '94.

The paper pretty much completely blows now. I wonder if/when Plaschke's gonna start covering City Council meetings.

4. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2008/07/man-behind-curtain.html

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's one of my favorite stops in the blog world. Hang in there, Jay.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here, via The Pipeline, is the sports list from LA:

--ASE Bob Rohwer, writers Jaime Cardenas, Martin Henderson, Eric Stephens, Larry Stewart, Bob Mieszerski, Peter Yoon, Steve Springer. Also, ASE Alex Kimball is leaving for ESPN.com
    --Copy editors Jay Christensen, Paul Netter and Bob Cuomo.
    --Designers Joel Huerto and Steve Pratt.

That's THIRTEEN for those who don't want to count, not counting Mr. Kimball. Thanks to DC for checking behind me, he/she must be a copy editor.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

God, that sucks. And fuckabuncha Sam Zell.

How much a percentage is that from the Times' sports staff?

EDIT: I count 13, not including Kimball.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are right, it is 13. My bad. Not sure of the percentage.

I'm told, though it is not confirmed, that Springer may have raised his hand for this to save someone else. Maybe he has something else lined up? Good for him if so.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I do know the copy desk -- and possibly the designers -- aren't considered part of "sports" but the copy (and design?) desk for the entire newsroom, but like in my shop, they work exclusively in sports. Still, no way to sugarcoat it: That's a big hit.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know things have changed there some over the years, but there are at least three guys in there with a lot of prep experience, and that's just a further diminishment of a beat the good people on it always fought hard to do well at, but who were always kind of kept on the back burner by the overall direction of the section.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

These cuts/departures make the Times' sports department smaller by:

17.9% among columnists/reporters (7 of 39), 27.7% among the layout/copy desk (5 of 18) and 20% among editors/managers (2 of 10).

12. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

Eric Stephens is the Ducks beat guy. They cut the beat writer for the team that won the Stanley freaking Cup last season!

Incredibly nice guy, too. I feel bad for him. He's fairly young (30-35ish) and he's got two or three school-aged kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted