1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times college coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Newbie1234, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Newbie1234

Newbie1234 New Member

Does anyone know what's going on with the LA Times? I just saw they had David Wharton on UCLA basketball recently and the football writer, Gary Klein, was doing USC basketball stuff. I know they sent the former USC basketball beat guy, Ben Bolch -- good guy, down to preps I guess to have the college beat be one and not split by sport.

But.. what happened to the guy who was doing UCLA for them earlier this year? He gone or what? It's a shame they're slashing coverage, or I guess combining it.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

They're down a lot of people, and a lot of experienced people, so I'm sure you're going to see a lot more of this, not less.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Chris Foster is covering hockey. He had done so a few years ago, with distinction. The Times recently laid off its hockey writer, so the staff was shuffled.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I believe Diane Pucin was doing UCLA hoops the last couple of seasons. But, yeah, they've done a lot of shuffling.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Man, it doesn't seem like that long ago that Pucin's name always seemed to come up for columnist openings across the country.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What a shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted