1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Denver Post, Baltimore Sun....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

... This week's ugly spate of 100's of "voluntary buyouts" can stop just about any time.

Scary times...

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

At least the ad above provides some comfort: "Jobs for News Writers" AHN is continuing to expand its news division ... careercenter.allheadlinenews.com

:(

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver Post wants 37. If they don't get it, the story this morning said there will be layoffs.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Should this not be considered a scare tactic?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Consider that three of the four named papers are from the Trib chain, and the fourth is a Media News property.

I'm not sugarcoating these, believe me. If Gannett, Lee and McClatchy join the fray here shortly, then a good dose of syrup of ipecac might be in order.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

At least they're buyouts. My shop is quietly doing layoffs.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Trust me on this one: Media executives are going to look back on 2006-2007 in about five years and say, "Man, we were really shortsighted." Won't fix the problem, of course, but the lack of vision at the top is going to become apparent at some point pretty soon.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

When was the last time USA Today had buyouts or layoffs?

9. donaugust

donaugust Member

I believe they laid off around a dozen from the newsroom in about 2002 or so. Not aware of any since.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The Mother Ship always gets what it needs, or something close. The rest of the chain often has to suffer to pay the freight.

11. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

A couple of questions from a rube here at a family owned paper in flyover country.

Are a lot of the buyouts and layoffs just in in the newsroom or are every other department of the newspaper cut also? Are the layoffs at the major metros or are medium and small papers being impacted too?

And generally, what kind of belt tightening have you seen at your respective papers?

Just kind of curious.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My paper just isn't hiring replacements when someone leaves.

Draft saved Draft deleted