1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

La La La: An Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not every musical is as beloved as this one.

And the music/singing/dancing isn't even that good.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The thing about La La Land, Stone could hold it up. She's got the chops for a musical, just like Zeta-Jones and Zellweger did in "Chicago."

Gosling is a fine actor, but he will never be mistaken for a musical talent. And it was painfully clear to me that they carved out his role in relation to his limited abilities in that regard. They had to form his songs and dance to fit his range.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

But wasn't he on the Mickey Mouse Club with Spears and Aguilera? I seem to remember hearing that. So he can't be a total simp when it comes to the Glee crap

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You could very well be right. He certainly seemed limited here, though.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Bottom left, next to pre-plastic surgery Britney.
    [​IMG]

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Saw it today. Until the last 10 minutes it was a cute movie about Hollywood. Definitely wouldn't have thought it was something worth 14 nominations.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The fact that he was the lead in a musical and then they trot out John Legend to outclass everyone vocally was a big mistake by the filmmakers. There are how many truly amazing talented singers and dancers on Broadway that would jump at this film and could have made the song half of it THAT much better?! I thought Emma was fine, Ryan's always great to look at but his singing lacked. My favorite 'songs' in this were the jazz piano.

I really want to see Hidden Figures. I have much more passionate feelings about the Animated Feature category (I really loved Moana but Zootopia had a more topical storyline. But mostly I want Lin-Manuel Miranda to get that EGOT) than I do any of the other categories.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As was pointed out yesterday, Miranda would actually have the PEGOT (P being Pulitzer), which only Richard Rodgers and Marvin Hamlisch have done.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Saw Hidden Figures. It is excellent. Whether or not it's Best Picture, I dunno, because I don't see enough movies. But I recommend it to anyone.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think Hidden Figures wins it.

If it doesn't, Hollywood will feel rather bad about its decision in 10 years.

La La Land isn't that good. Period.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know I've asked here before, but I've yet to hear a good answer why in 2017 there are separate categories for best actor and actress. This isn't basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted