1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

La La La: An Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think critics are more in love with the writing than seriously wishing it had a best pic nom, but yes, I have seen some critics who say Deadpool was one of the movies they would have thrown in the 10th spot.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Birdman was the worst of the nominees the year it won but got the Oscar because it was about acting, directing, the theater etc. I haven't seen La La Land, but based on the reviews here, it sounds similar.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Birdman' was excellent.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Birdman was dogshit.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Vastly different movies. La La Land is more of a romantic comedy and very accessible. You're not going to run the slightest risk of thinking "what the fuck?" at La La Land.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"The Artist" also comes to mind.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Artist was fucking awful. I haven't seen any of this year's nominees yet, but I know there's a zero percent chance I will see La La Land of my own volition.

There's been a lot of overrated shit nominated in the last 10-15 years. Actually, going all the way back to Titanic. I'm still pissed that Life is Beautiful, one of the five best movies of all time, lost to fucking Shakespeare in Love.

Birdman was OK. So was Argo. Neither should've been Best Picture, though.

The gold standards recently are 12 Years a Slave and No Country for Old Men.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Deadpool should win an Oscar for Best Use of "Careless Whisper" by Wham!

And because of that, it should also win Best Picture.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Deadpool is completely overrated. I liked it, but a best picture nominee? Come on.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Not enough singing and dancing? There was a handsome actor named Ryan in it, so it had that.

I loved Deadpool. It was my favorite movie from last year. But even I don't think a Best Picture nominee should have THAT many dick jokes in it.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Known many film or culture reviewers who don't like musicals? That seems to be their wheelhouse. I, for one, wince and turn the channel for all things reminiscent of Glee. Musicals are the worst and I won't even feign to tolerate them. Do we go to concerts to hear a singer speak his songs? Same shit in my mind. Musicals are for kids, same as wrestling and superhero movies and comicons.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Musicals are fine.

Musicals on film are almost universally terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted