1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

La La La: An Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jan 24, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Saw the same two as KJIM, "La La Land" and "Hell or High Water." Definitely thought the latter was the better work, though I enjoyed both. I really want to see "Hidden Figures."

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yup, two-plus hours of eye-rolling Hollywood self-indulgence... I haven't yet seen Hell or High Water, but so far my best picture is Manchester by the Sea and it's not even close.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed Hell or High Water and Arrival. Those are the only two on the list I'd seen. If I had to pick between the two, it would be Hell or High Water. It had a very No Country For Old Men feel to it with equally good performances.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I am a little surprised to see Hacksaw Ridge on the list just because people might still be holding a grudge against Mel Gibson.

Hidden Figures is the only one I've seen and it was really good. My wife and sister went to see La La Land and said it was good, not great. I'm hearing some critics wishing Deadpool got a nod for Best Picture in the 10th spot. I haven't seen it yet, but it would have been interesting to see a meta super hero movie get recognition and it especially would have been great to have the Academy queue up a clip that may or may not have offended everyone.

This summer was pretty bad when it came to blockbusters. Fall got better and the wide release winter movies were good. But once again, it's a list full of movies that most people didn't see with a few exceptions.

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Vin Diesel, snubbed again.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

La La Land got ecstatic reviews that didn't match my experience or that of a lot of people I know. Not bad. Not great. Not sure what the fanfare is all about.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You would have nominated him for Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk? I'm not sure if even Vin Diesel will admit he was in that movie a year from now ...

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of the rave reviews (mine included) come from people who live(d) in LA...every scene features a recognizable location, and the whole thing is such a wet kiss to the city that it's hard not for Angelenos to love.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe.

I mean, the singing and dancing wasn't that good. Neither were the songs.

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised too. The Best Picture list was expanded to up to 10 films to give a nod to movies like Deadpool, not more art house films that no one will watch if not for the nomination.

That hasn't happened.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Critics wished 'Deadpool' was nominated for best pic?
    Really?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I watch them. I enjoy them far more than more sequels in which indistinguishable super heroes blow shit up.

Draft saved Draft deleted