1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Traffic/Directions HELP

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by You're With Me Leather, Dec 3, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If it rains -- yes, it sometimes does out there -- plan for a lot more time to get to LAX. Or, do as I do, and avoid it at all costs.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Psst . . .Buckweaver.

There were no crowds at Universal because it sucks.

;D ;D

Seriously, it's OK . . . bu the one is Florida is awesome. Islands of Adventure rules.

3. Yup, we have the better magic kingdom on this coast.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Didn't say that, Write-Brained. . .

The Matterhorn and the Indiana Jones ride, as well as the coaster at California Adventure, are great.

Lot of wasted space at Florida Disney.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

been to where both you live and write wins hands down. i'm a west coast guy yet freely admit LA is the bunghole of the pacific time zone.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Thank you, Poin. Outstanding work having my back.

I brain-farted on that stretch of the 605, whether you go north or south from the 91.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Considering you have to drop off the car, lug yourself and the kids from the rental place to the terminal on a bus, and check in 1.5 hours before the flight, I don't think it's too far off.

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. Sitting on a freeway, not moving, while the clock is ticking to make my cross-country flight, and flop sweat beading on my neck is pretty unpleasant. I will give up the last 45 minutes at Disneyland to make sure I get home on time.

8. Thanks, TP. Feel free to come over anytime for some barbecue and beer ...

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'd have said leave no later than 4, and that's in the Mickey and Friends garage at 4, not leaving Cinderella's castle at 4. Driving to LAX sucks.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nothing compares to Universal Orlando when it had the Back to the Future ride and the Indiana Jones show about 15 years ago. That still tops my list.

The only one I wasn't too impressed on yesterday was The Mummy ride. God help us if we'd had to stand in line for an hour for an 8-second payoff like that.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My advice:
    Instead of heading to LAX, head east. Drive home. Where ever it is -- as long as it is in the continental United States -- you'll get there faster.

12. Perhaps longer time residents can chime in here about how much extra time to add if it rains. I just wanted to add that what I considered mild to moderate rain when I moved here is a big deal here in terms of traffic. Think of what the first snowstorm of the year does to traffic in a place used to snow or even worse what snow does to traffic in a place not used to snow. So even if you think it's just a light rain and no big deal, be prepared for it to REALLY mess up traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted