1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times to stop printing in Orange County

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jan 7, 2010.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

While they will still keep 80 or so reporters, editors and support people in O.C., for those who were there during it's absolute heyday, this is pretty much the end. It's now simply a decent sized bureau. At its peak, the Orange County Edition, standing independently from it's L.A. counterpart, was one of the best papers in the United States:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-times-oc8-2010jan08,0,7710176.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+%28L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories%29

It's a sad thing, but as the end result of a long, tortuous decline, it's really doesn't register much anymore.

Edit: Thank you for being kind on my it's/its error.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I was at a conference years ago. One of the speakers was a retired very-senior editor with the WashPost.
    It was at the height of the LATWAP wire service. We were talking about the bureaus and, unsolicited, he said the "The L.A. Times and the L.A. Times Orange County Edition were the two best papers west of the Appalachians."
    Pretty amazing.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you completely. Dem were the days.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That ain't the half of it.

The LAT's final print run each day will now be reserved for...the Wall Street Journal.

Yeah, breaking news is so overrated in print. At least if you're among the 16 million potential readers who live in SoCal.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/01/la_times_could_have_earli.php

5. MileHigh

That is utterly depressing.

The money line:

I'm hearing that the Times' off-the-composing-floor deadline of 11 p.m. (with updates until midnight) for the front news section will move earlier by several hours, perhaps to 6 p.m.

And this:

It might also mean that the New York Times' deadline for getting breaking news from California onto its front page will be later than the hometown LAT's.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've tired of saying "unbelievable" over the past few years. But that's unbelievable.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The only tiny piece of good news there is that "sports will apparently keep its later deadlines.

For now, anyway.

8. fishwrapper

The next fire, flood, mudslide or earthquake -- or any of the million news events that happen after 5 p.m. -- there's going to be a four-column photo of a sailboat in Marina del Rey on A1 and I will throw-up all over my driveway. After I throw up, I will then kick this shit out of the rest of the paper all over the neighborhood.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know of a few big papers where from 8 p.m. on (and some places earlier) there are 1-2 non sports people in the building. They are basically there in case something huge hits the fan and they have to go into Page 1.

Everything else can wait a day. I don't think they even bother to put anything online.

It's pathetic.

10. MileHigh

And it's only L.A. Second-largest market in the country. Not like anything doesn't happen after 6 p.m. Criminy. This is sad. I grew up with this paper. Breathed it, couldn't wait to get into it every morning. Still read it online every day. As SF said, this truly is unbelieveable.

And as was noted by LAO, they might regret not having that second printing press the next time an earthquake hits and there's no power at the presses.

11. fishwrapper

I keep seeing that statement. The Olympic Plant is fully capable of running without power.
    Of course, that doesn't take into account structural loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted