1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times shoves out Al Martinez; PLUS: Phoebe Flowers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, May 24, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A lot of you might not know who Al Martinez is. He's a general interest columnist who has written for the L.A. Times since 1972 and been in the business many years before that. He has also written some of the best columns I have ever read.

Well, he's getting shoved out the door rather than retiring on his own timetable. His last column for the Times will be June 1. Here's the story on L.A. Observed.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2007/05/al_martinez_pushed_out_by.php

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Re: L.A. Times shoves out Al Martinez

Agree that Al is a top-notch columnist. A surprising move, frankly.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I'd like to agree, but given the current climate, not so surprising anymore.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When an Al Martinez can't choose to retire on his own - what does that say about the industry? The Al Martinez's of the world are why people BUY and READ newspapers and why people like me wanted to WORK in newspapers.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You know, if he'd just lop off his junk (and write all about it) I bet they'd keep him.

7. andykent

andykent Member

mustardbased,

Come on. That was uncalled for.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

This is wrong.
    I believe the junk is not lopped off, but filleted.

9. Re: L.A. Times shoves out Al Martinez

it was actually funny as hell

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, please, let's turn a thread about a 50-year newspaper veteran being shown the door before he wants to be into some snickering about an issue already covered on other threads -- concerning a veteran colleague, by the way -- and about something they don't remotely understand. By all means.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. That was classless.

Now, I would like, perhaps, further this discussion.
    I grew up reading Al Martinez. At a time in my career, I knew him and he knew me by name.

Al, for five-or-so years, as been relegated to way inside the Features section. Some, thinking he's lost a little zip on his fastball. How long should we -- as journalists -- hold on? How long does a company hold on? Of course, each case is different. But, I think it's a interesting debate. Then again, with layoffs and buyouts and such, this discussion may be moot.

But, sooner or later -- and I'm not saying this is the case with Al Martinez -- it's like watching Willie Mays in the '73 season. I've certainly have worked with a few.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I can understand that point, I suppose.

Just seems to me that there should be some room to keep a veteran guy like this, much as the "old" Times did with some of its over-70 sports writers.

Signals a sad change in the business, that's what I'm saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted