1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times reports Bryant is NBA's MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, May 3, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've seen and read you posts before. I know you read The Times.
    And to call the Combs-Shakur disaster a "mishap" is a gross understatement -- even kind on your part. We know that. But, when you guys post stories from people -- professional journalists -- we all know, then in the next phrase question their credibility, even peripherally, that's not fair to anyone involved. That's all.

2. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

OK. I know why I wrote what I did. However you wanna take it is up to you.

Edit: Yanno, re-reading what I wrote in the original post, I can see why you took offense to it. I meant to write "You can take it with a grain of salt." It was a poorly-worded post.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

F-U Claws

Edit: I had to re-do this message cuz I even fucked that one up. Dammit!

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, I'm not offended. You don't last as long as I have, doing what I do, with thin skin.
    We're cynical. I get that. At some point, when someone completes the Human Genome Project, they'll find satire and cynicism firmly wrapped around -- and in -- our DNA.
    In many ways, it's a defense mechanism. In many ways it's a tool we use. Sometimes at the same time.
    We should cut eachother slack sometime. I'm sure you realize Bresnahan and Farmer (and their editors) had as much to do with the Shakur-Combs disaster as...well, you.
    My lone point.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

It's that kind of common sense that would doom the NBA.
    We are talking about the same league that thought the players wouldn't notice a difference between a leather and synthetic ball, after all.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The NBA names a regular season MVP, then awards one for the Finals, same as the NFL and MLB. What's so wrong with that? Lots of reasons to criticize the league, but that's not one of them. If you lead your team to a championship, chances are you're going to get your reward.

7. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Awww, c'mon. Let the hockey fans have their moment. They have so few.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So does the NHL.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Fine. All the more reason that Claws comment taking issue with the NBA makes no sense.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What the NHL does is hold an awards show at the end of the year. The Hockey version of the Oscars.
    I think that is where he was going with that.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

JC understands. All I'm saying is that hockey's awards system is great. You get three nominees for their awards during the playoffs, but nothing seems to get leaked early. That's all I'm saying.

As for the rips on the NHL, whatever. The worst thing the NHL did was hire its commissioner from the NBA ranks.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Could a significantly higher level of interest and coverage be the reason NBA awards get leaked, while NHL awards do not?

Hey, no one is leaking MLS awards.

Draft saved Draft deleted