1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times reports Bryant is NBA's MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, May 3, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't blame the news organizations for reporting this stuff. But what is the motivation for the league or the teams to steal their own thunder by leaking the information. It seems like it happens for every NBA award.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. Talk about undeserved.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The NBA always has had awards leaked, it seems.
    Meanwhile, it's rare for the baseball awards to get leaked.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

how do you figure that?

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

How do you figure that?

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Tripp, any refutation of the Times report?
    Your initial post pretty quick to judge.

7. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

No, so far no one disputing it. As a Lakers fan, I'm hoping the report is true. I really only put the "grain of salt" comment on there due to the reaction Sam Farmer's Favre article received in the wake of the Tupac mishap.

8. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

If Kobe Bryant went his entire career without ever winning an MVP award ... the entire NBA award system would be meaningless.

Bird basically claimed it would be a meaningless MVP award if Kobe never won one ... thats why he said he felt like he should throws his away if Kobe doesn't get one.

9. rube

rube Active Member

My comment wasn't about the leak itself ... I'm fine with that. I'm just tired of NBA regular season awards in general ... they're meaningless.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Don't get that at all. How are they any less meaningful than regular season awards in any other sport?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I figure the Lakers would still be an excellent team without Kobe. Where would New Orleans be without Chris Paul (whom I think deserves the award for bringing the Hornets back from the dead)?

12. that you, rokski?

Draft saved Draft deleted