1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times reports Bryant is NBA's MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, May 3, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kobe3-2008may03,0,6268282.story

Of course, given recent history at the L.A. Times, I take this with a grain of salt.
    Still, if it's true, I think it's the right call, given all the injuries the Lakers have dealt with (including to Bryant himself) this season and they still won the West.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

PD called it a month ago:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55006/

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wouldn't have been the wrong call if it were Chris Paul.

Would have been wrong if it were Garnett or James.

Yeah, I can't say I mind this news. Now I'm starting to wonder who the last championship-winning MVP was . . . . . .Duncan in 2003?

And who before that? Shaq in 2000? Ugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_MVP

And TSP: the LA Times' Mark Heisler has been polling dudes for weeks, and wrote that it was likely Kobe long ago, too.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Yes, saw it. Though, that poll was from a small section of voters. The L.A. Times apparently is getting this from sources inside the league with knowledge of the official results.

5. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Agree wholeheartedly. This should've been a two-man race. Bryant and Paul were, IMHO, the two best and most valuable players to their respective teams, and it wasn't even close.
    Garnett had Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to lean on in crunch time, while LeBron's Cavaliers didn't win enough to merit serious consideration in my eyes.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting tired of all these awards being leaked/polled before the announcements?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I believe a certain espn.com columnist recently wrote that Kobe was "unelectable," implying the electorate was unreasonably biased against him and united in an effort to deny him the award.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tired of awards. Period. Don't really care when they are leaked.

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The NBA does this dog and pony show every year of leaking out the MVP. About time somebody calls BS on this....

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who'd he rape this time?

11. rube

rube Active Member

Couldn't agree more. And this one in particular is the most irrelevant award in all of pro sports.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The competition. Duh.

Draft saved Draft deleted