1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Looking at the paper, it looked a bit crisper. I don't like the fact that they moved the TV listings from page 2 to page 3.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Does it seem strange that it's not throughout the entire paper? The redesign that is.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It is now the L.A. Times-Picayune.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Designers run amok? I am shocked to see that implication. That would never happen.

5. healingman

healingman Guest

"Multiple points of entry" can sometimes turn into a paper's "weapons of mass destruction" if not used cautiously.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Like almost any redesign. The consultants still make their $, though.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The plaque for the alternates is in the Ladies Room.

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Redesign is one of those things those aforementioned consultants whisper in a publisher's ear, to earn their keep.
    Most publishers will probably buy pretty newspaper talk from the consultant, because they understand how the paper looks better than they understand what the paper contains.

The design people have no objection, obviously, because they get to let loose on the creativity a bit and also justify their jobs.

I've noticed that newspapers get a lot of screaming phone calls, letter and e-mails when a redesign first hits the street. I've always found it jarring, because the eye gets used to the same thing every day, probably more than we non-design people realize.

Then, a few weeks later, everyone goes back to sleep, once they get accustomed to the new look. Tempest in a teapot, really.

I hope none of the people out there who object to it got all up in arms when the New York Times went - gasp - to colour. :)

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

However, the clueless managing editors are being paid to know what the paper contains. They aren't doing their jobs when they cower in their offices and do next-day critiques.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think I like the Sun-Sentinel's redo a bit better. This redo of Los Angeles takes some of the gray out of the paper, but one of the hallmarks of the Times was the in-depth stories. Does it take things away? Does it make the paper better?

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

I hear other sections are going to roll out redesigns in the next several months. It does look like many other recent redesigns. Skyboxes ... that's cutting edge.

12. enigami

enigami Member

Fewer stories on A1 = larger headlines and larger photos = more compelling reading at a glance. It's a subtle change that hopefully will affect readership.

Draft saved Draft deleted