1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times editor O'Shea fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Over budgetary disagreement with the publisher, the Wall Street Journal is reporting.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article_email/SB120086036844103713-lMyQjAxMDI4MDIwMDgyNjAwWj.html

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's a huge in-the-business story, because he was brought in by Tribune as more of a company guy but then turned out to be a fighter just like his predecessors, I guess.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

it's probably because the new jackasses came in and decided to lop off another 20 percent

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's three major Tribune Co. cuts/departures in three weeks.

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Here's a solution to the Times' problems: hire some drone from Gannett and then you'll have someone with the nads to make those cuts AND stay on board to catch the flak!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No doubt some tool or toolette will come on board and proclaim the future of the LA Times to be bright indeed. I don't think its just an inside baseball story though. When editors at the LA Times have less security than an NHL head coach there is something seriously wrong.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Another one bites the dust in LA. I was wondering why my good old Times was in so much throuble.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

This shit pisses me off. The whole industry stinks. Will it ever stop? What happened to the days when newspapers were the leaders in promoting quality editorial content and not just pumping out barely enough to keep the bean counters happy. Fuck the bean counters and fuck the state of the industry right now. I'm sick of reading about more layoffs every week.

9. mojo

mojo Member

They ended. In a fit of greed. Coincidentally about the same time as the days of having a beer for lunch ended.

10. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Details atop the L.A. Times story:

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

"Presidential elections? Aw, screw it, we'll just use wires.''

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

From my know-little perspective, I'm glad to see that the last few editors of the L.A. Times appear to be taking a stand against editorial budget cuts. I think that's setting an important example.

Draft saved Draft deleted