1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times bloodletting reportedly gets a big one -- Mark Heisler

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jul 27, 2011.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is sort of unrelated to the topic, but pick up the book "The Deal from Hell" by James O'Shea. It talks in detail about Tribune Company and the behind-the-scenes stuff over the last decade, culminating in the Zell transaction.

You get a sense of what these people are like behind the scenes, resulting in decisions like these. GREAT read.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

16 more? Anyone hear any names or positions?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

O'Shea has his prejudices and pets, but second this . . . this is a terrific book, providing powerful doses of historical perspective.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice notice by Kevin Roderick.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/09/did_heisler_scoop_the_tim.php

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

With all due respect to Kevin, and to Mark, can you really get scooped on a feature? It's not as if the USC pregame notes issued a week ago wouldn't have mentioned a Marinovich coming to play at USC.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It's entirely possible that he was listed in the Cuse Media Guide as Marijuanavich.

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Yes, you can get scooped on a feature. Heisler's story shows how.

8. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Exactly! If that was in the pregame notes it makes it even worse that someone from the times didn't write it as a preview. When I read the times story that immediately jumped out at me, "why didn't they do this as a preview."

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know, can anyone picture Todd Marinovich as 42 years old? Wow, time flies.

And, I don't know, Mikhail doesn't sound a whole heck of a lot different from Todd to me. Less known, maybe, but not really different.

None of the Marinoviches seem very much different, actually. It's hard to see any of 'em as "family men" now.

10. MileHigh

Another 10 to 20 layoffs coming.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/11/new_round_of_belt-tighten.php

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sigh.

Some of my acquaintances have been pretty lucky, but at some point, that has to end as the cuts deepen. Here's wishing for the best for all of them, and those who do get laid off.

12. MileHigh

Same. Waiting for a former colleague -- one of the best writers and desk guys (yes, the combo used to exist) -- to let me know where he stands.

Sigh indeed. The World Champion. Dem were the days.

Draft saved Draft deleted