1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times bloodletting reportedly gets a big one -- Mark Heisler

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jul 27, 2011.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sadly it didn't make it when the Sport Dept. made a move out of the main newsroom for temporary digs before moving into the current space.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Finally heard from my friend/ex-co-worker, who made it. This time. Just Heisler and Crowe from sports were cut, but lots of head scratching over those cuts. Rightfully so. And the feeling is the consolidated desk situation/cookie-cutter pieces-of-crap template pages are just a matter of days from hitting the LAT, which will decimate those desks just like they did the T6 papers.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Less known here, but Randy Hagihara -- who I got to know as a city editor in Orange County but who wound up downtown, I think -- is also leaving. Hard-boiled, smoking, straight-shooting, old-school newspaper man. I loved the guy, but the business is passing people like that by -- much to the misfortune of the business.

4. CNY

CNY Member

Wasn't LA the only Trib paper to renew a full-service deal with AP? So if it took modules, it would be paying for AP but not using it?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The smoking part I can understand. It's very non-PC these days and the frequent breaks to step outdoors for a heater can mess with work flow. But what else about that guy should be "passed by" by any legit news operations -- dead trees or digital -- worth its salt?

Does he refuse to embrace technology? Rail against it? If not, the news organization isn't making the smart move.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think he has just been a good soldier in a big organization, and he's my age, I think (not sure on which side of it) and been there a while, so probably well-paid, the typical confluence of experience, competence -- and expendability for a financially troubled paper.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Think he's been more on the corporate side of things in recent years -- working in HR, or with the METPro program, or something, if I recall correctly.

When there's movement of this type, it sometimes has an effect on those types of positions, with either departures or re-shuffling. I remember a previous round of layoffs in which the head of HR was moved back into an editorial position, which I believe she still holds.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Pretty sure you're right, WT ... lots of thanks and best wishes from METPRO people on his Facebook page.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Heisler's goodbye memo:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/141896/heisler-in-32-years-in-the-lat-sports-department-i-saw-it-all/#more-141896

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sports is taking another hit this week with the voluntary buyout/retirement push.

Soccer writer Grahame L. Jones is leaving.

And a bit further down, there's rumblings of editor Russ Stanton isn't happy with people.

Stanton "is reported to have complained openly about loyalty and apparently became quite animated about getting rid of people he doesn't like and the print paper's eclipse in his eye by the web."

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/09/daragahi_petruno_jones_la.php

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What in the HELL is going to make up the sports page?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Best to Grahame, one of the great people I have been lucky to meet in this business.

Draft saved Draft deleted