1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times better off with early deadline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 12, 2010.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sports does not have their regular deadlines.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting reaction from a former Times editor, and some details about sports deadlines.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/02/ex-editor_rips_idea_that.php

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Which means nothing of an urgently relevant nature regarding news (read: Entertainment Tonight is considered major news sources in LA) happens after 5 p.m.

4. eyecu

eyecu Member

So basically they're doing what some other Tribune papers are doing. Deadlines so early that almost nothing late (anything that starts past 8 p.m.) gets in the paper.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

FWIW, Noel Greenwood is one of the best newsmen I've ever seen.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

An interesting test of the early deadlines will come with Monday's paper and the Academy Awards. I predict that the necessary changes will be made and there will be a color front-page photo accompanied by the customary front-page story reporting on all the Oscar winners.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You would think so, no doubt

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Isn't the Oscars winners list available with a iron-clad embargo?

I thought that for some reason, but I don't know why.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not at all available before the envelope is opened; meaning LAT won't know until about 9:00 to 9:15 local time.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two PriceWaterhouse Coopers accountants know before the envelopes are opened, but no one else.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm actually in SoCal this week. And, of course, I picked up the paper because, well, I grew up here and with that paper. Color photo of Kathryn Bigelow led A1 (the real A1, not one with an Alice in Wonderland ad taking up the rest of the cover) with a the main story that jumped inside in the regular A section. No Oscar stuff in the LATExtra section. But ... many color pages in a 14-page Oscars special section. And, yeah, this thing ended at 9 p.m. out here, so I'm wondering if on certain events there are certain dispensations the LAT got to get a later press run.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The extremely early deadlines apply only on Saturday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted