1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. raises minimum wage to $15/hr

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 19, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

#democraticprocesses

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm highly dubious of the wisdom of, say, a national $15/hr minimum wage, but....OH THE HUMANITY!
    [​IMG]

I feel like the title of the graph is much more stark than the graph itself. The retail peak was July '15, after the minimum wage jumped from $8 to $9 in Jan 15, FWIW.
    And that trend line the first few months of '16 looks decent.
    To expand out the lens - unemployment in Mass.
    [​IMG]
    Unemployment rate:
    [​IMG]

So, in sum, what happens in Mass is worth watching. But there's nothing there that seems to warrant the WARNING: in the title or that seems particularly scary.

cranberry likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's a dangerous (well, not really) game to draw inferences based on this combination of graphs. The top one is raw totals (seasonally adjusted) of those employed, while the bottom are rates (seasonally adjusted) for a particular subset of those who might be employed. Perhaps these numbers are quasi-complements, but there's a damn good chance they're not.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why's everybody looking at me?

BTExpress, RickStain and cranberry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted