1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. HOPES TO SIGN TORRE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportsnut, Oct 29, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Here's the link to the NYT story. Apparently Donnie may be going as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/sports/baseball/30torre.html?ref=sports

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Letterman asked Torre about it tonight and all Joe said was "The Dodgers have a manager under contract."

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And "There are some stories in papers that aren't true."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

That, too, Mike.

5. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

FWIW, Letterman is taped at 5:30 p.m. EST.
    Obviously, things can change between 5:30 and 1:50 a.m.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

It was Torre's way of dodging the question.

7. Agree, but I still think he was pretty candid given the circumstances: About Tampa, about George. Comes across as a real straight shooter.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

He was great, as usual. Even cracked a few jokes, about following Seinfeld "But I hit behind Hank Aaron for 8 years ..."

9. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

I know. Just saying ... at this hour, maybe Grady Little is no longer under contract.

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Now before I start, I know Joe Torre and Grady Little are in different leagues as far as the class of coaches.
    But, wouldn't you think the Dodgers would stop trying to steal the thunder from the AL East teams?
    They brought in Nomar, Derek Lowe, Bill Mueller, Grady Little, and I guess you could say David Wells and it backfired on them. They haven't done squat since then.
    Does Joe Torre make Jeff Kent's legs any younger? Does Torre make someone not named Brad Penny anchor the rotation?
    He's a great manager but he can't, and won't solve many of the Dodgers problems IMHO.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"5 million dollars is a lot of glue" was another good line from Torre.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Wow. Good for the Dodgers. Though it kind of sucks for Grady Little, he who is perennially shat upon.

Draft saved Draft deleted