1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Daily News/LANG updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/12/new_layoffs_at_daily_news.php

My add to this: There was one person from Sports who was laid off, Gerry Gittelson.

Gittelson is a veteran preps writer -- the lead preps writer, actually -- at a paper that still has a strong emphasis on preps, despite having to rely almost entirely on stringers (outside of Gittelson) for its high school coverage.

A major, almost crushing, blow, just because Gittelson -- not necessarily an elite writer but definitely a good reporter and one of the hardest-charging and hardest-working people on the sports staff there -- is so productive.

This is just one guy, but definitely a key one to this section's prep operation...yet another really sad, bad indicator of just how bad things are becoming in this business.

This is, I think, a genuine shock.

And a later message:

More, and an update, on the latest of L.A. Daily News layoffs, from a different site.

Take note that LANG Sports Editor Kevin Modesti, who is based at the Daily News office, has been reassigned as a Metro reporter.

This really is getting incredible

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Who is in charge of sports? One of the assistants earlier rejected for the top job?

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

P.S. The LA Observed post says that film critic Glenn Whipp was laid off. The double, sad irony there is that many other papers, having laid off or reassigned their own film critics, used the LADN movie reviews.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I see we have another thread on this, though the title didn't make that clear. I'm going to lock this and direct everyone to Singleton At The Plate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.