1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Daily Journal eliminates copy desk?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/04/expect_more_tpyos_at_dail_1.php">I've never heard of this paper, but this sounds like a recipe for lots of corrections, typos and various other mistakes.</a>

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's a legal paper read more by insiders than by you and me. One of the comments on Romenesko seemed to buy this approach, basically making the assigning editors more accountable for basic copy editing of hoped-for cleaner copy.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Because of a lack of resources, the universal desk at my shop has gone to almost all production, leaving the assigning/metro editors to handle the bulk of editing.

4. sportsed

sportsed Member

You'd think a legal journal, of all publications, would be wary of the potential for litigation. A single out-of-court settlement, let alone an actual jury award, could cost more than the collective annual compensation of the paper's copy desk. Heck, the very act of eliminating the safeguard of the copy desk could pillar a lawsuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted