1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kyle Orton starting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starving Journalist, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll put money on it.

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

C'mon Pallister...

Tell me it isn't warranted after the last two games.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

The irony of Mike liking Urlacher b/c he was a good interview--and hating Orton b/c he turned down an interview--is that urlacher is now a cee u next tuesday of the highest order to reporters. Apparently he limits his responses to one or two words.

I guess he just needs Mike to bring out his inner blabbermouth. :D

4. pallister

pallister Guest

True, Zim. But I'm guessing every single player in the Hall had at least one less-than-stellar year. His back's prevented him from being able to catch up to runs and passes and fight off any blockers. If he recovers, he'll be back to his old self next year, which would be helpful because without Briggs he'll have to make about 479 tackles.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Have you been to Soldiers Field? (Using the locals' term.) Grossman couldn't throw an incompletion without getting booed. Between the fans' pent-up frustration over not seeing quarterbacking excellence since Sid Luckman and the Bears' organizational refusal to take the quarterbacking position seriously -- and as long as half the crowd is made up of lubricated, moustache-wearing pipefitters named Mike or Marty -- that position is going to remain a black hole, almost as bad as being Arizona Cardinals coach.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

what is there to tread lightly about?
    the bears suck, plain and simple.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I wasn't bashing Urlacher, just noting that he was producing at a Hall of Fame level for his entire career, but has been decent at best this year.

My other rant...I'll stand by it. Maybe I'm letting my own fanboy doom cloud my vision, but the Bears just seem broken in very fundamental ways that cannot be fixed on the quick ---- even if they had the kind of front office with the vision, savvy and creativity to fix things quickly.

The line has serious problems. They need drive-blocking guards, tackles as tough as Kreutz.

The defense...I can't figure it out. I don't know how to explain why they are tackling (aka not tackling) as they are. Injuries are a factor, yes. Tommie Harris is not himself.
    Just when he was getting back to his monsterous, true self with the hammy issue, he gets leg-whipped. They miss Mikey Brown but he is never there anyhow. Urlacher's back probably explains his solid-but-notflyingaroundlikeatriassicpredator play. Vasher, etc.

They do not have a varsity running back.

Their offensive coordinator remembers he has Greg Olson for two weeks, then forgets for a month.

Garrett Wolfe might as well be on the dummy squad.

Etc.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, I've been to Soldier Field. But maybe you're right. Maybe it is the only place where drunken "fans" overreact to a player's performance.

But go right ahead and keep stereotyping. Just don't pop off to the wrong Mike or Marty next time you wanna talk shit.

Spnited: I was just joking around, now go back to your iron lung.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I read a couple stories about that earlier in the season, and I couldn't believe it. He was a regular chatter-box with me. The PR guy actually had to stop the interview because they needed to go. Oh, the stories we shared. ...

I told him I lie on my driver's license so it reads I'm 6-foot instead of 5-foot-11. He told me how we wanted to be a dancer when he was younger, and I came back with exactly how I hit .511 during my last season of Little League. Man, was he impressed. We spent the last minute making fun of Kyle Orton and Brad Maynard. "The sad this is," he said, "they think they're actually athletes. They couldn't carry Jeff Feagles' jock."

We'll meet up again one day, and when I point to Maynard and smile, Urlacher will remember our time together and lighten up. You'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted